Who do you collaborate with and why? Who do you wish you could collaborate with? What kind of artistic community do you belong to that has helped you on your journey? What kind of community can you imagine?
When: September 27 – 29, 2019 (Registration opens soon!)
Where: Arlington Beach Camp and Conference Centre is situated on the shores of Last Mountain Lake, between Saskatoon and Regina, in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Who: For men and women, ages 13-103, of all artistic disciplines who want time to devote to their own creative projects, love the outdoors, and are interested in connecting with like-minds.
What: A nature-based arts retreat designed to move you forward on your creative journey. All of the activities are optional, but the following elements are the back-bone of the experience.
- Studio space to work on your craft… If you crave uninterrupted time to paint, write, play music, sketch, carve wood, or do whatever it is you do, this retreat is for you. The common area on the main floor of the lodge, with its many tables and chairs will be dedicated to creators who wish to focus on their work; there are also many other nooks on the property suitable for private creating.
- Nature… Take an early morning walk along the beach, go paddling, meander down an over-grown prairie lane, find inspiration everywhere and translate it into your craft.
- Community… Participate in a culture of honesty and warmth. Group sessions and workshops allow you to connect with artists from diverse backgrounds and interests. The spacious second-floor lounge, with its comfy seating and fireplace, will be available for anyone who wants to create and enjoy conversation at the same time.
Everyone who comes to Wonderscape is a co-creator of the event; your unique presence and gifts help shape the experience. Think of it as an artist’s potluck! There are several specific ways you can participate…
- Weekend library – Bring books of all genres to share with other participants.
- Maker’s market – Show your work! Tables will be available to display and sell your art, on an honour system, all weekend. (It doesn’t matter what you bring as long as it’s made by you.)
- Discipline-specific circles – Give each other feedback and “talk shop” at the Drawing circle, Writer’s circle, or Arts and Business circle.
- Art Mash-Up – an open-mic event
COST: This includes food, accommodation and all programming except optional workshops which cost an additional $10 each. Early-bird pricing is on now! (Add $50 after May 31, 2019).
Shared room (1 queen bed and twin bunks) – $295/person
Private room (1 queen bed and twin bunks) – $395/person
This schedule is yours to shape. Pick and choose what you want!
Friday, September 27, 2019
- 7:00 pm Full group Session; “Collaborate”
- 8:30 pm Grooves in Nature music workshop with Felipe Gomez
Saturday, September 28, 2019
- 8:30 am Breakfast
- 9:30 am Carving workshop with Clayton Cave
- 10:15 am Photography workshop with Katie Miller
- 12:30 pm Lunch
- Art and Business Circle
- Writer’s Feedback Circle
- TBA circle (fibre artists? what else?)
- 2:30 pm Painting workshop with Bevin Bradley
- 6:00 pm Dinner
- 7:00 pm Drawing circle
- 7:30 pm Art Mash-up
Sunday, September 24, 2019
- 8:30 am Breakfast
- 9:30 am Hike n’ Write with Tricia Friesen Reed
- 11: 45 am Artist blessing
- 12:15 pm Lunch and farewell
How to Get There: Arlington Beach is 1.5 hours north of Regina, 2 hours south of Saskatoon, and 2 hours west of Yorkton. See Google maps for further directions (Note: When you turn west and head towards Last Mountain Lake at the “town” of Cymric there is only one building. Blink and you’ll miss it!)